Thursday, December 3, 2009

Practical Four

I learnt about Meta-Search engines in this tutorial. Even though the concept is not new to me, the only times I came across it is by accident. I found it rather irritating and confusing as it isn't a definite search engine. With so many sources, the likelihood of unrelated sources would be much higher and more time would be needed to sift through the results to find appropriate sources.

While it was a new experience using a different a meta-search engine to research my resources, I was quite uncomfortable with using such a resource as I was quite unfamiliar.

I don't think I will be using Meta-Search engines very much. It tends to come up with results that are quite useless to my query. Such as when I was searching for the "role of robots in society", several results turned up teaching me to build my own robot.

Collaborating on Wiki with other students is yet another new experience. The only other time i discussed with other people online is via Instant Messengers or online forums. With Wiki, the information is much more organised and information I might not have come across can bev found by the other student I'm collaborating with.

However, sometimes it does get annoying when the information that I found has also been found by the other party and already put on the Wiki page, rendering the things I found repetitive and useless.

No comments:

Post a Comment